Sunday, January 06, 2008

Todo Sobre Mi Madre

I did not like the movie but this has nothing to do with Spanish Cinema.

It is all about my mother.

I met my mom some twenty eight years and change ago, and since I can remember I can only picture her in a calm mellow mood. She never screams; never throws or breaks stuff. I can really say that I have never seen her angry or overly emotional not even when she's PMSing, and my mother is a woman; I am not adopted by a same sex couple, she is my biological mother and most people say I look like her.

So this woman who is my mom is very peaceful. She has never been politically active, except an occasional prayer to the higher powers wishing to rid us of all TV talking heads. What could the subsecretary of social affairs in the Lebanese Option Gathering possibly have to say to merit 3 hours of satellite uplink time? Chef Antoine feeds people across the Middle East and he only gets an hour live in front of his RCA Tk40. But I digress..

My Mother didn't take part in March 8th or in March 14th. She didn't take to the streets on December 1st or 10th. I don't think she's set foot in Riad El Solh Square in 40 years. She didn't protest against rising prices, global warming, or any war. She never clapped for Peace, or lit a candle for national unity. She was never part of any labor union so she never went on strike. She has never voted in either of the two countries she's a citizen of. She just isn't that big on the whole concept of government. At the same time she has never been in trouble with the law. I don't think she even has a parking ticket on her record.

We are talking about a long slate of personal serenity and political apathy that goes back into the 1950's (Late Late 50's. I have to cover my ass In case she reads this). She's seen a lot, been through a lot, but always maintained a level head and nothing has set her over the edge.

If George W Bush sets foot in Beirut this week, this same mother of mine has sworn to storm the Serail, and unleash 50 years (I mean 40 some years) of supressed rage. She even has set aside some eggs to rot for the occasion. Yes, I know..., just eggs. I told you she's a peaceful woman.

So this is the story of my mother: my calm, peaceful, mellow, sweet mother. Imagine how the rest of the population would react if such provocation were to happen.

14 comments:

JoseyWales said...

Maybe that's why Leb and the ME are a big cap hole:

Quiet people who do not move forever while being screwed by their own leaders and politicians get all excited as soon as one shouts "Bush", "Sharon" or "Palestine".

Anonymous said...

Go Imm Jamal gooooooooo!!!

Anonymous said...

Taciturno, w ana 2oul 3a meen tali3... ya Jamal ma yhizzak ree7 :-D

hilal said...

wow. is he coming? marvelous. save me 2 eggs. I think he needs them.
after all i am a peaceful person :)

will they call lady majida elroumy to sing for him "ya beirut"?

Call me tomorrow to arrange something before thursday.

oh and by the way, u haven't added yet any link to josey's blog.

L said...

:)

Anonymous said...

Well, your mother (and her friends) can try to storm the serail, if GWB comes to Lebanon, but that will only be a reflection of her intellectual bankruptcy, for as you said, when Iranian heads of state or ministers came she merely sat on her ass.

Jamal said...

I will not spoonfeed subtlety to the anonymous intellectually wealthy.I will not spoonfeed subtlety to the anonymous intellectually wealthy.I will not spoonfeed subtlety to the anonymous intellectually wealthy.I will not spoonfeed subtlety to the intellectually wealthy.

ok that helped.

Anonymous said...

very enjoyable read, i have to say, shame some nit wits here cant appreciate some humour..

bush has no business being here, where was he when civilians were being butchered to pieces in the july war, oh, i remember , he was busy giving the green light..

god bless your mum jamal, if only our country had more decent women like her, if only..

Kodder said...

Jamal if I may I can have fun with the anonymous :P.
Anyway, funny post... Ta7iyeh la Imm Jamal.

Ralph said...

This is the best blog online, and you are the funniest blogger...However you are not posting enough! My mom is demanding more posts too, and she has been to all protests between march 14 baabda 89, march 14 2005. Beware...

Anonymous said...

This is the best blog online, and you are the funniest blogger...However you are not posting enough! My mom is demanding more posts too, and she has been to all protests between march 14 baabda 89, march 14 2005. Beware...

M Bashir said...

Imagine how the rest of the population would react if such provocation were to happen.

I heard the same response and saw same anger from so many when they heard that Bush may surprise us with a visit. And they all fit the same profile as your mother (bless her spirit).

Khawwta said...

I liked the way you described your mom ;)

Anonymous said...

I can close my eyes and see her face. Thanks Jamal.. from florida