Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Truth

“The Truth” in the Hariri assassination is due in 3 weeks. Many insist Lebanon will become a born again country. In 3 weeks the assassins will be punished, corrupt government workers will be a thing of the past, construction will boom, unemployment will fade, the only explosions you’ll hear will be those of the fireworks celebrating national unity. Not only the Muslims and Christians will love each other, the Lebanese will now treat the Asians and Africans as humans too. The national debt will become a surplus and government projects will pop up even in the remote areas of the North, South and the Bekaa. The garbage bins will have covers, and the traffic lights will all work. People will learn how to obey traffic laws and everyone will be driving environmentally friendly vehicles. Green will be in again even in the cities. Universities will rival the Ivy League and their labs will compete for the ultimate in creativity and invention. Schools will have libraries, and so will each major town. Electricity and water will be abundant so no excuses for b.o. but if your too lazy, free deodorant for everyone.

3 more weeks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, I must say I enjoy reading your cynical out-takes on life in Lebanon (especially in the bit on "If a bomb goes off in Beirut...". Andres brought your blog to my attention that day and I got a real kick out of the picture you painted with the various sound descriptions...a charming madhouse if I may.

Anyway, we're all anticipating this report on "The Truth". While of course we're still going to have all the problems we had before Hariri's assassination, I believe that identifying and trying the perpetrators will be a rare victory for justice in the Middle East. It'll at least give people a glimmer of hope that Lebanon is taking steps in the right direction.

I gotta have something to go on if I'm ever going to return...

Jamal said...

Hey Hisham i was expecting you to pass by when you were here. As you can see I'm just getting started on this. I will elaborate on my point of view of the whole political scene as I go. While it certainly is a positive step, as was yesterday's appointments and the parliament questioning sessions, there are other changes taking place that aren't so promising. More to come...